Return to Events
IIJ to Sell "Japan Travel SIM" Prepaid SIM Card for Foreign Visitors, through JAL's in-flight Catalog JAL SHOP
TOKYO-December 24, 2015-Internet Initiative Japan Inc. (IIJ, NASDAQ: IIJI, TSE1: 3774), one of Japan's leading Internet access and comprehensive network solutions providers, today announced that it is expanding sales outlets for its Japan Travel SIM package, which includes a SIM card for IIJ's pre-paid mobile data service for visitors in Japan. The package will begin to be sold through Japan Airlines' (JAL) in-flight catalog JAL SHOP in the January-February and March-April issues. In-flight sales will begin on all JAL international flights (except Korean routes) on January 1, 2016.
IIJ's Japan Travel SIM is a ready-to-use SIM card for high-speed data transmission. Customers can begin using it by simply inserting the SIM card into their SIM-free iPhone or other smartphone. Customers will receive the package immediately upon purchase on the flight, which allows them to use it the moment they arrive at the airport. JAL SHOP will only carry the nanoSIM card version.
Summary of In-Flight Sales of Japan Travel SIM
||Japan Travel SIM
|Routes where available
||JAL international flights
(Available on all routes except Korea routes)
||Until the end of the third month
after the day of the first transmission
(The product has already been subjected to Customs duties.)
|Additional data transmission capacity (*2)
(LTE area) (*3)
|Download up to 225Mbps, Upload up to 50Mbps
|Network within Japan
||NTT DOCOMO LTE/3G
|SIM card type
- Package:Japanese, English, Chinese (simplified)
- Instruction guide, Service site (https://t.iijmio.jp/en):
Japanese, English, Chinese (simplified/traditional), Korean, Thai
- Phone support:Japanese, English, Chinese
9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. JST
- (*1) No extensions of the usage period or transitions to monthly plans are available. Data volume cannot be added to a SIM card after its usage period has expired.
- (*2) Data can be added by purchasing IIJmio using a coupon card. Adding data does not extend the usage period. Methods for adding data vary, so please check https://t.iijmio.jp/en/recharge/.
- (*3) Transmission speeds shown are the maximum speeds available; actual speeds vary depending on the device used. Outside of LTE service areas, 3G data can be used.
- (*) SMS and voice call feature cannot be bundled with "Japan Travel SIM" SIM cards.
Premium Codes for TRAVEL JAPAN Wi-Fi are not included in the bundle.
How to use the service
- Insert a SIM card into your device.
- Configure a mobile network such as APN setting on your device, and it is ready to use.
- (*) Packaged SIM cards are ready to use and do not need to be activated.
IIJ will continue to provide highly convenient services that allow foreign visitors and customers temporarily returning to Japan to enjoy a comfortable mobile life during their stay.
- (*) All company names and service names mentioned in this release are the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.