Return to Events
IIJ to Begin Selling “Japan Travel SIM powered by IIJmio” Prepaid SIM Card for Foreign Visitors, through the March-April 2015 issue of ANA SKY SHOP
Internet Initiative Japan Inc. (IIJ, NASDAQ: IIJI, TSE1: 3774), one of Japan's leading Internet access and comprehensive network solutions providers, today announced that it is expanding the sales channels for Japan Travel SIM powered by IIJmio," a package of prepaid SIM card that provides a mobile data communications service for foreign visitors and people returning to Japan temporarily. The package will be sold through the March-April (international route) issue of ANA SKY SHOP, the in-flight shopping catalog on flights by All Nippon Airways Co., Ltd. (ANA). The package will be limited to mid- and long-range routes departing from or landing in Japan. The SIM card is available in nanoSIM form only.
Japan Travel SIM powered by IIJmio is a package that comes with a ready-to-use SIM card that includes 2GB of high-speed data volume. Customers can easily start using a mobile data communications service just by inserting a SIM card into their SIM- free device such as an iPhone and completing the configuration on the device itself. Because purchased SIM cards are handed over while on the plane, users can begin accessing data immediately after landing at the airport. This is the first time that a prepaid SIM card that can be received right on a plane has been sold in Japan.
Summary of In-Flight Sales of Japan Travel SIM powered by IIJmio
||Japan Travel SIM powered by IIJmio
|In-flight SIM package price
||JPY3,700 (tax included)
|Routes where available
||ANA international flights-Japanese departures and arrivals (limited to mid- and long-distance routes)
||March 1, 2015 (Sun.) to April 30 (Thu.)
- (*) Sold through the March-April issue of ANA SKY SHOP
The sale ends when all the stocks run out.
||Until the end of the third month after the day of the first transmission(*1)
|Data volume (Bundle coupons)
|Transmission speedｓ (LTE areas)
||Download up to 150 Mbps / Upload up to 50 Mbps(*2)
||NTT DoCoMo LTE and 3G areas in Japan
|SIM card type
- Package: Japanese, English, Chinese (simplified)
- Instruction guide: Japanese, English, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Korean, Thai
- Support line: Japanese, English, Chinese
9:00 am - 7:00 pm JST, 365 days per year
- (*1) Extensions of the usage period and migrations to monthly plans are not available. Data volume cannot be added to SIM cards whose usage period has expired.
- (*2) Transmission speeds may vary based on the device used. Outside LTE areas, transmissions over 3G are possible.
- (*) SMS and voice call feature cannot be bundled with "Japan Travel SIM powered by IIJmio" SIM cards.
How to use the service
- Insert a SIM card into your device.
- Configure a mobile network such as APN setting on your device, and it is ready to use.
- (*) Packaged SIM cards are ready to use and do not need to be activated.
IIJ will continue to provide highly convenient services that allow foreign visitors and customers temporarily returning to Japan to enjoy a comfortable mobile life during their stay.
- (*) All company names and service names mentioned in this release are the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies.